Hi, I’m Jenna – a newborn and family photographer based in San Francisco Bay Area, but born in Finland. I live in San Jose with my husband Marcus and Nova – the most awesome Australian shepherd in the world.
We don’t have kids, but I aim to make the sort of pictures that I would want to have of my own family some day. I like to keep sessions simple and authentic, which probably stems from my Finnish mentality.
No photos were displayed in my childhood home, which always struck me as a bit odd. My parents had a cabinet filled with slides, though, and they would conveniently be pulled out when new boyfriends where introduced to the family… We also had cupboards and drawers filled with loose prints and photo books, which is something I want the next generation of kids to experience, too.
I was never comfortable with staged photo sessions, and have learned that it’s the pictures of real moments that will truly be cherished when someone is gone. This is why I work with a documentary approach.
I truly believe that real is more interesting than perfect.
Five tidbits about me:
1. More times than I care to admit, my plans for the day revolve around food.
2. I’m getting more and more conscious about the amount of trash thrown out every single day, which is why I repurpose packing materials when I send families their books and pictures.
3. I drive a GTI with a manual stick – I love that feeling of control.
4. Going to the beach charges my batteries, so I try to go every month with Nova.
5. There’s just nothing better than real paper; I prefer printed magazines and books to all kinds of gadgets.
My flower crown obsession seems to have started early in life. However, that is actually my grandma’s dinner table center piece.